Sunday, October 04, 2009

A little personal history

Permanent Waves was the first Rush album I ever purchased, and I hated it!

I was a callow youth of about 13, just returned to Canada and living with my cousin, who played me 2112. I loved the song "Something for Nothing" so as soon as we moved into our new home I saved up my allowance and skipped down to Sam The Record Man to buy 2112. Alas they didn't have 2112 so I bought the album with the cute chick on the cover (hey, I said I was callow) took it home and put it on the old turn table and listened--and hated every minute of it. Nine minute songs? Lyrics that weren't about girls and partying? Fussy, intricate instrumentation? and it was LOUD! I didn't get it, didn't like it and put it aside for a year or so.

After that year or so had passed I started hearing this cool song on the radio called "Tom Sawyer". I heard if for weeks and loved it, but didn't know who sang it. One day I finally heard the DJ announce "Tom Sawyer by Rush" and I thought "Half a mo'*--Don"t I have a Rush album somewhere?" so I went home, pulled out the album and put it on the slightly newer turntable and listen--Holy Crap? Epic slabs of pure awesomeness! Lyrics that actually meant something! Pure instrumental virtuosity! And man was it LOUD!! I was hooked, big time.

In the year between the release of Moving Pictures and Signals I'd purchased every Rush album on vinyl, and in between Signals and Grace Under Pressure I replaced every album on cassette. And I've been a huge fan ever since

*although I had my English accent beaten out of me pretty quickly at school, I still tended to think in English idioms.

1 comment:

Wheezer said...

"Half a moment" - I think you may have been heavily into the Rankin/Bass version of The Hobbit as well, particularly the riddle sequence between Bilbo and Gollum. Heh heh.....

Also, when I get some money together, I see that I must check out some "Lady Ninja" videos..... ; )